Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

Nosotros take a lovely big print in our lounge room, the colours are neat and information technology fits well into the décor.  The only problem is the frame was a piffling, well … uninspiring, but I knew all it needed was a glaze of paint to go far pop! The frame is made of wood, with some lovely detailing and bevelling. I had never used spray paint earlier and decided this would give me the smooth, flawless finish I was after … I thought I was onto a winner!While I am very pleased with finished product, this projection turned out to exist quite a learning experience. So hither is a beginner's guide to spray painting a picture frame (with some mistakes and learnings along the mode).

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

The frame equally information technology was … not bad, but a bit dark and heavy looking for my taste.

1. Sanding and priming

a) Sanding

Equally I was later a smooth and fifty-fifty cease, the beginning step was to sand the frame. Sanding before painting as well provides a skilful surface for the paint to "grip" also.  Later on sanding, I wiped down the frame with a mixture of Carbohydrate Soap and h2o to remove any remaining dirt, grime or grit.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

I used ii types of sandpaper: firstly, a medium grit sandpaper (180 grade) to accept off the varnish; followed by a fine sanding sponge (210 grade) to get into the nooks and crannies.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame Information technology was at this early stage that I actually noticed the knots and imperfections in the frame.  I debated filling them in with forest filler only I didn't remember I would exist able to create an even finish as many were on the detailing and bevelling.  So I left them, figuring the spray paint would fill the gaps…

b) Painters tape

As I was unable to hands remove the print or glass from the frame, I carefully taped the drinking glass with painters record, getting every bit close to the border of the frame every bit I could and ensuring the tape was polish with no air bubbles. The rest of the drinking glass I covered in newspaper and taped it down.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

This technique worked a treat! When I removed the tape and newspaper at the stop … not a drib of paint on the glass!

c) Primer

Next came applying a coat of primer.  To ensure sufficient ventilation and considering of over-spray, I laid the frame out in the lawn on a drop-canvas (or an old curtain in my case). I had never used a spray primer earlier and I institute the spray version very quick and easy, peculiarly on this slightly bevelled frame. I followed the instructions on the back of the tin … shaking well for 1 minute and so applying in polish, fifty-fifty dorsum-and-forth strokes.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

Afterwards the primer was dry, I lightly sanded the frame with a fine grit sanding sponge (210 grade). Wiping downwardly the frame later on with a microfiber cloth.

Full of confidence I boldly moved onto applying the pigment.

2. Employ two coats of pigment

For the spray paint I cull Dulux "Antique White USA" in a satin end, primarily because it was in the colour I liked.  I had decided on the white as information technology was a neutral colour and would lighten the lounge room. Exterior in the garden worked well to apply the primer, so I kept going … however this time I ran into some modest bug…

Applying the showtime glaze of paint …

  • Issue i: the wind picked up and the pigment started to spray everywhere but on the frame (thank goodness I had the foresight to have the washing inside)
  • Outcome 2: the frame stuck to the drop-sheet
  • Issue 3: small bugs stuck to the paint!

Once the current of air picked up, rather than waste pigment, I left the frame to dry out.  I knew I would be applying at least one more glaze of pigment.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

Applying the 2d coat of paint …

To avoid a echo of the issues listed above…

  • I moved the frame into our garage.  Past opening the roller door I had sufficient ventilation but was also protected from any air current and small insects.
  • I raised the frame up off the ground and onto a couple of former boxes, ensuring the edges of the frame were free

I sanded the frame with a fine dust sandpaper (220 form) to remove all the little bugs and dust which had stuck to the paint. Wiped down the frame with a microfiber cloth and applied the second coat of spray paint with ease. Once more using long, fifty-fifty strokes back-and-along. Because the frame was now elevated, I was able to get into the different angles of the frame easily.

To avoid the paint dripping or running … use smooth, even strokes across the surface.  Don't spray in one area.  Apply several coats if required to become full coverage.

This time at that place were no bugs and no wind to spoil my paint job. However, in one case the 2d coat was throughly dry I again noticed some pocket-sized issues…

  • Consequence 4: Remember the knots and imperfects in the woods that the paint would fill upwards?  Not then… They were clearly visible and didn't look great.
  • Issue v: Every bit I had used a satin finish spray pigment, the frame had a sleeky finish that didn't arrange the frame at all!

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

3. Distress the finish

When I started out painting this frame I had no intention of "sad" the finish. Notwithstanding, once the last coat of paint had stale, it became clear that I was going to distress this frame after all. I wasn't happy with the sleeky end, which didn't seem to suit the wooded frame. The visible knots and imperfections were not in keeping with the shine and shiny wait.

Next time I'll apply a matte paint to wooden furniture and objects, leaving the glossy finish for metal frames etc. I can always add a polyethylene subsequently for some extra smooth.

I hoped sanding the frame would reduce the sleeky texture … and it worked! By "distressed" the frame using the sandpaper technique discussed here I reduced the shine and added some character, assuasive the imperfections to go office of the overall await rather than standing out like a mistake.

Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

Yous can also try rubbing back sleeky paint or varnish with very fine steel wool to cutting back some of the shine. Yous might demand a little vegetable oil or beeswax to lubricate the steel wool if it's cut into the finish as well much. Try it out commencement on a small, unseen function of the piece.

The frame seemed to want to be distressed … I know that sounds foreign, only sometimes when your making over a furniture or an object, information technology will reveal to you lot what's needed. Perhaps it was the bevelling on the frame or the print itself, either way … I'thou pleased with the finished product!

Do you accept any tips for using spray paint you lot would like to share? Do y'all have any other painting techniques which ave worked well on motion-picture show frames? Beginner's Guide to Spray Painting a Picture Frame

This mail service was shared at:

Monday: Fabricated by you Monday, Inspire Me Mon, Show and Share, Prove & Tell

Tuesday: The Makers, One Project at a Time, Not Just a Housewife

Wed: Creative Spark, Piece of work it Wednesday, Centrepiece Wednesday

Thursday: Handmade Hangout, Your Turn to Shine

Friday: Feathered Nest Friday, Show Off Friday, Best DIY Projects and Recipe Party, The Creative Collection Link Party

Saturday: Saturday Sharefest, Found & Foraged

Lord's day: The Sun Showcase Party, DIY Lord's day Showcase, That DIY Political party